Your Cart
Mushrooms Growing in House Plants

Mushrooms Growing In House Plants – Are They Dangerous?


Are mushrooms growing in your house plants? If you’ve ever spotted tiny, umbrella-shaped growths emerging from the soil of your indoor house plants, you’re not alone. Many plant enthusiasts have come across mushrooms popping up alongside their beloved plants. At first glance, this might spark curiosity or concern. So, what’s the deal with these fungi? Are they friends or foes? In this article, we will delve into the fascinating world of mushrooms, understand why they might be growing in your potted plants, and explore how to manage them effectively.

Is it Bad if Mushrooms are Growing in My Indoor Plants?

Mushrooms, intriguing as they are, often leave people wondering if their presence is beneficial or harmful. To start, it’s crucial to know that mushrooms are fungi and they are part of a bigger network called mycelium. This network works tirelessly, breaking down organic material, which in turn enriches the soil. Consequently, they can be good news for your potted plants!

However, there’s a flip side. Sometimes, mushrooms might indicate that the soil is retaining too much moisture. This can be a problem, especially for plants that prefer drier conditions. Moreover, if the mushrooms are growing excessively, they might compete with your plants for nutrients.

In summary, a mushroom or two is usually not a bad sign, and can even be beneficial. However, too many mushrooms or persistent growth might necessitate a closer look at your plant’s environment.

Why are Mushrooms Growing in My House Plants?

Mushrooms flourish under certain conditions, so seeing them in your house plants might be a sign of a conducive environment. First and foremost, mushrooms love moisture. They usually sprout when the soil is damp. If you’re watering your plants frequently or if there’s inadequate drainage, it might create the perfect setting for mushrooms to grow.

Another factor is the presence of organic matter. The soil in your pots might contain bits of leaves, bark, or other decomposing material. These materials are the buffet mushrooms feast on. The mycelium – the root system of the mushrooms – breaks down this organic matter, and when conditions are right, mushrooms appear.

Indoor Plants Growing Mushrooms
Parasol mushrooms on white background

Temperature is another aspect. Mushrooms tend to grow in warm conditions, which are common inside homes. Also, some mushrooms have a knack for popping up overnight, especially after a sudden change in temperature or humidity.

Finally, spores play a role too. Mushrooms reproduce through spores, which are often airborne. These spores are incredibly small and can easily find their way into your home through windows, doors, or even hitch a ride on your clothing.

One can postulate that, a combination of moisture, organic matter, favorable temperatures, and the presence of spores can lead to mushrooms growing in your house plants.

Are Mushrooms Growing in My House Plants Dangerous?

When mushrooms make an appearance in your house plants, it’s natural to worry about their potential dangers. To plants, mushrooms are usually not harmful, as they mostly feed on decomposing organic matter. However, they may signal that the soil is too moist, which could be harmful to certain plants.

Now, let’s talk about humans and pets. Some mushrooms are harmless, but others can be toxic. It’s difficult to distinguish between safe and poisonous mushrooms without expert knowledge. Therefore, it’s wise to assume that any mushroom growing in a houseplant could be potentially harmful if ingested. This is especially important if you have curious pets or young children who might be tempted to taste them.

Additionally, while not directly harmful, some people are allergic to mold and fungal spores. In such cases, the presence of mushrooms could potentially exacerbate allergies.

In essence, mushrooms in house plants are not typically dangerous to the plants themselves but might pose risks to humans and pets if consumed or in case of allergies.

Should I Remove Mushrooms from My Indoor Plants?

Deciding whether to remove mushrooms from your houseplants can be a bit of a dilemma. On one hand, mushrooms can contribute to the soil’s health by breaking down organic matter. On the other hand, they might indicate overly moist soil and could be potentially harmful if ingested.

If you have young children or pets that might be tempted to eat the mushrooms, it’s a good idea to remove them. Additionally, if you see a large number of mushrooms growing, it might be wise to remove them to reduce competition for nutrients with your plants.

When removing mushrooms, gently pluck them out without disturbing the roots of your plants. It’s also a good practice to wear gloves as a precaution, especially since some mushrooms can be toxic.

After removal, it’s essential to assess and modify the plant’s growing conditions, if necessary. Consider reducing the frequency of watering and ensuring proper drainage to create a less favorable environment for mushroom growth.

In summary, removing mushrooms from your houseplants is often a good idea, especially for the sake of safety and ensuring the well-being of your plants.

Conocybe Filaris Mushroom Rendering

What Kind Of Mushrooms Are In My Houseplant?

In the cozy confines of houseplant pots, several types of mushrooms can sprout. Knowing which ones are common can be helpful. Here are a few types that you might encounter:

  1. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (Flowerpot Parasol): This is a common mushroom found in houseplants. It’s bright yellow and looks quite attractive. While it’s not harmful to plants, it’s toxic to humans and pets if ingested.
  2. Mycena species: These mushrooms are small and delicate, often with a white or gray color. They generally feed on decaying plant material and are typically harmless to living plants.
  3. Conocybe species: These mushrooms have a conical cap and are often brown. Like Mycena, they feed on organic matter and are usually not harmful to plants, but some species can be toxic if ingested.
  4. Peziza species (Cup Fungi): These mushrooms are shaped like cups or bowls. They usually indicate that the soil is rich in organic matter and moist. They are not harmful to plants.
  5. Aspergillus species: Though not a mushroom, Aspergillus is a common mold that can appear in houseplant soil. It looks like a powdery substance and can be various colors. While it’s generally not harmful to plants, it can be an allergen for some people.

Remember, while these mushrooms are typically not harmful to your plants, it’s best to exercise caution. It’s challenging to accurately identify mushrooms, and there could be variations even within the same species. As a safety measure, avoid ingesting any mushrooms growing in your houseplants and keep them out of reach of children and pets.


Understanding the world of fungi can be quite a journey, especially when they decide to make an appearance in your houseplants. While mushrooms can be beneficial to the soil, their presence could also indicate conditions that might not be optimal for your plants, such as excess moisture. The safety of mushrooms also becomes paramount, particularly in homes with young children or pets.

By monitoring the health of your plants, adjusting care conditions if needed, and removing mushrooms when necessary, you can ensure that your indoor garden remains a safe and thriving space.

Free Shipping

On All Orders Above $199

Easy Returns

Viability Guaranteed

Fast Shipping

Ships Within 24-48 Hours

100% Secure Checkout

Powered by Stripe